Youth and Families Experiencing Homelessness
If you or your family are in any of the following situations:
- Staying in a shelter
- Sharing housing with others due to loss of housing or economic hardship
- Living in a car, park, campground, abandoned building, or other inadequate accommodation
- Temporarily living in a motel or hotel due to loss of housing
- A student under the age of 18 living apart from their parent(s) or guardian
You may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.
A child or children may have the right to:
- Immediate enrollment in the school they last attended (school of origin) or the local school where you are currently staying, even if you do not have all the documents normally required at the time of enrollment.
- Continue to attend their school of origin, if requested by you and it is in the best interest.
- Receive transportation to and from their school of origin, the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children, including free meals and Title I.
- Receive the full protections and services provided under all federal and state laws, as it relates to homeless children, youth, and their families.
All children, regardless of immigration status, have the right to a free and appropriate public education. The fact that a child is experiencing homelessness and/or is classified as an unaccompanied minor, as defined in the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, IS NOT, in and of itself, a sufficient basis for reporting child abuse or neglect.
The Chief Executive Officer designates the following staff person at each school site as the School Liaison for homeless students:
Synergy Charter Academy
Katy Aquino, Operations Coordinator
Address: 900 E. 33rd Street, Los Angeles, CA 90011, (323) 235-7960
Synergy Kinetic Academy
Maria Raffanti, Assistant Principal
Address: 1420 E. Adams Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90011, (323) 846-2225
Synergy Quantum Academy
Claudia Perez, Operations Coordinator
Address: 300 E. 53rd Street, Los Angeles, CA 90011, (323) 510-4171
Attention: If your living situation has changed, please fill out the Student Housing Questionnaire form below and email it to the School Liason of your child's(children's) school.